On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 05:18:06AM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >     listened-to (kttsd) the man lame.  Then surfed around; then came
> >     back to the man page and read the several examples.  So: the idea
> >     is that lame ["just"] converts WAV files to mp3.  There is a
>
> as every good unix tool - it does exactly what is supposed to do.
>
> nobody forbids you to make your script that do what you want with lame and
> say cdda2wav
>
> >     Given the availability of compression these days, it makes me
> >     wonder why telephone conversations still sound so 'tinny'.  But
> >     then, that's another matter.
> >
> with right configured speex codec phone talks sounds actually better than
> uncompressed :)

        That's the idea: take telephone/voice @  what? 4kbps? -- it was
        something very narrow bandwidth so the phone companies could
        squueze more speech into each wire.  Anyway, given 4k or whatever
        bits/sec, built in a single chip into each new phone to compress
        and uncompress.  And up the quality of the speaker!

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 2.23a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php