With the recent snd_hda changes, I have more audio devices than ever:
hdac0: HDA Codec #0: Realtek ALC880
pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC880 PCM #0 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC880 PCM #1 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm2: <HDA Realtek ALC880 PCM #2 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm3: <HDA Realtek ALC880 PCM #3 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0

hd...@pci0:0:27:0: class=0x040300 card=0x814e1043 chip=0x26688086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '11583659 Realtek High Definition Audio Controllers'
    class      = multimedia
    subclass   = HDA

With hw.snd.default_unit=1 I have (adjusting vol and pcm changes volume level here.)
Mixer vol      is currently set to  55:55
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  50:50
Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0

With hw.snd.default_unit=2 I have (adjusting vol and pcm does nothing here, 0:0 or 100:100 nothing changes)
Mixer vol      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mix      is currently set to  60:60
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Recording source: mic

With hw.snd.default_unit=3 I have
Recording source:

Mail notification sounds from Thunderbird are barely audible, and I can't control the volume for it. Can someone point me in the right direction to control/use the different pcm* devices, the man pages aren't totally clear to me.

Thanks

--
Over the years I've come to regard you as people I've met.