same Outlook 2003.

In the FreeSBD7 system, outcommented in /etc/inetd.conf the line
imap4 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/imapd imapd

and did
# /etc/rc.d/inetd reload

Then set up a new mailaccount in Outlook 2003 for this FreeSBD7 mailbox in EXACTLY the same way in the way I did for the Solaris server.

From Outlook 2003 I can login to the FreeBSD server with username:password
and get connected, but the "Inbox" shows nothing..

I probably am missing some step here.  Any ideas/hints what step ?

i won't help you with imapd, but you may try dovecot - it's EXCELLENT pop3/imap4 service, works both with standard mbox files and maildirs