On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:54:31AM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've updated FreeBSD in some VM from 7.0-REL to CURRENT (without any
> problem); but I'm unsure now how to bring the ports tree /usr/ports to
> CURRENT;
>
> normally in 7.0-REL I've used 'portsnap fetch update', but this will
> perhaps not bring the ports tree to CURRENT; I've read a lot the
> handbook about, but it is not clear for me; should I use CVS as well to
> bring the /usr/ports to CURRENT, or something else?

The ports tree isn't versioned like /usr/src; 'portsnap fetch' will
always fetch the latest copy from cvs mainline, and the only way to go back to
a branch (e.g RELENG_5_5_0) is by using csup, which you would only
really want to do if you're using a release of FreeBSD which has gone
out of support, such as 5.x.

--
Bruce Cran