Jerry McAllister wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:12:39PM -0400, Harold Hartley wrote:

I am wondering if the freebsd team has ever thought of making freebsd to install on windows like ubuntu does.

I don't know what Ubuntu does.  But, you can install FreeBSD on a machine
that also runs MS-Win.   The traditional way is to 'dual-boot' the machine.
But, you can also install some virtual machine software and run both
under that.
its worth noting that you can install freebsd to the same HD as windows under vmware on windows. its not very complicated. also worth noting is that the proper version of XP will run under vmware/native with only a hardware profile. effectively you can run windows from freebsd, and vice versa. and yes, the vmware version 3 on freebsd.
 You can also install wine and run MS-Win stuff on FreeBSD.
There are some limits to that I think, but people do it.
I run a dual (or triple) boot. It is documented in the handbook and works just fine.

I'm just a person that can't afford more than one computer cause I live in a nursing home and I would like to be able to use one computer to choose what I want to boot into, such as windows or unbuntu and maybe a freebsd choice.

I don't always want to boot into windows, except for the 3 apps I have to use windows for.

Basically, that is what I do.   Mostly I boot FreeBSD and use it for
my desktop.  But, sometimes I need to use Photoshop which I have on
the MS-Win side and printing labels seems to work better with Word
than Openoffice, so I boot MS-Win for those.

////jerry

I do boot into ubuntu 90% of the time and enjoy it so much, but I have read about freebsd and researched it fully and I wish I could be able to run freebsd as with all the apps freebsd has to offer. I would love to be able to install freebsd under windows so I could choose freebsd to boot into when I want.

I hope to hear from freebsd about my request, and by the way, I'm not a linux expert so I don't know everything about linux, but I'm always learning.

Thanks
Harold Hartley
158 Russell Street
Lewiston, Maine 04240