On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:12:52AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Trent Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> >     I'm interested in seeing how well something like PostgreSQL can be
> >     used as a ``drop-in'' replacement for Oracle.  If I have clients
> >     connecting via ODBC (Rational ClearQuest), I personally couldn't
> >     care what the underlying database is.  Now *that* is something I'd
> >     be interested in seeing a write up for.
>
> It's not a drop-in replacement. You have to install the PostgreSQL
> ODBC drivers on all the clients. Any client-side scripts will have to
> be changed to use a PostgreSQL wrappers instead of Oracle
> wrappers. The SQL is probably subtly different as well.
>
> SQL may be a standard, but you still get locked into the databases
> that you can query with it.

    Perhaps I should have been more specific.  I'm interested in how far
    you can get (i.e. what queries will work, what ones won't) before
    you reach a complete road-block.  With regards to ODBC, changing the
    driver being used by the application's '*odbc.ini' configuration fi-
    le is sufficient for modifying the database being interfaced to, is
    it not?  i.e. the application simply calls standard ODBC functions
    which the individual database drivers implement.

        Trent.