On Thursday 26 March 2009 16:39:18 Frank Shute wrote:
> ~/.xinitrc is only run when you use startx and ~/.xsession is used
> when you run the display manager xdm(1).
>
> I believe kdm also uses xsession.
>
> This is all IIRC. I haven't used a display manager for sometime and
> I've never used kdm.

Default kdm simply runs startkde. You will have to set your "session" to
"custom" in the login screen. Then .xsession will be used to set up your
environment and is responsible for starting startkde in the end to use KDE.

On the plus side, once done, your next login will again use the "custom"
session.

Of course, one may also use kmailnotify.
--
Mel