Ramiro Caso wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am having some problems understanding how the freebsd boot manager works. I have installed FreeBSD and Linux on the same laptop HD and want to be able to select which one to boot when the computer starts. I installed the bootmanager to to the MBR during installation and when I boot the laptop I am presented with four choices;

F1 - FreeBSD
F2 - Linux
F3 - ???
F4 - Linux

but I am only able to select F1, F2-F3 only make the laptop beep and doesnt load anything. The way I have set up the HD is for Partition 1 to be a FreeBSD Slice, Partition 2 the Linux / Partition 3 is Linux swap and Partition 4 is Linux /home. Any help would be great

This is a silly question, actually: do you have LILO installed on your Linux
boot partition?
I have BootEasy on the MBR, and LILO on Linux boot, and it works just fine.
Also:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/disks.html#BOOTEASY-LOADER
Hi Ramiro,

Thanks for the reply. I tried a new approach because I dont think Ubuntu uses LILO. So instead I installed GRUB to the MBR and added an entry for freebsd in /boot/grub/menu.lst

title      FreeBSD 7.1, RELEASE
root      (hd0,3,a)
kernel   /boot/loader
quiet