Hello, list.

Before I pose my question, I am not intending to start a flame-war of
any sort -- I'm just searching for "different" ways of doing things.

With so many different version control systems available (aside from
the traditional "keep current backups" solution), I am curious:

Q:  What is *your* favorite/suggestion solution to keep (working)
versions of configuration files, in case something goes awry?

i do backups of whole system (not just configs) with rsync+cp -lpR to have multiple generations. this way i don't need ZFS or UFS snapshots to do this.

as i have backups i always can get things from it.

But "Best Practice(TM)" is YOUR BEST PRACTICE, most suited to yourself.