On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:57:21 +0200 (CEST), Oliver Fromme
<o...@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> Google "background fsck damage".
>
> I was bitten by it myself, and I also recommend to turn
> background fsck off.  If your disks are large and you
> can't afford the fsck time, consider using ZFS, which
> has a lot of benefits besides not requiring fsck.

You can always ask yourself: "What is more important, the
boot-up time or my data?" In any case, I'd recommend to
emphasize the importance of the data, so even with larger
UFS disks, it's okay to wait a bit, but then be sure that
nothing is damaged.

Furthermore, I agree with the recommendation of ZFS. If your
hardware is good enough (which shouldn't be a problem today),
ZFS handles possible data damages much better and faster.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0