Oliver Fromme wrote
Of course this is purely a matter of taste and personal
preference.  My preference is similar to yours, but my
main reasoon is to save space.  I think it is a ridiculous
waste of space if every third line consisted only of a
sole brace (opening or closing).  To my eye, such lines
that are almost empty break the natural structure of a
piece of source code.  I insert empty lines quite often
in order to group source lines logically, but brace lines
break that grouping visually.

There is a very logical reason in C for wanting to put the opening brace of an 'if' statement on a separate line: preprocessor statements.

Many editors, including vi / vim, and no doubt emacs, have a brace matching facility. If I put the cursor over a closing brace, say, and hit the % key, it puts me onto the matching opening brace. However in this scenario:

int foo( int x )
{
#ifdef SCENARIO_A
   if ( x<3 ) {
#else
   if ( x<2 ) {
#endif
       // . . .
   }
   // . . .
}

matching the closing brace of foo() will fail, as the number of braces no longer matches.

Putting the opening brace of the 'if' on another line solves this problem.

-Will