Seur Bors wrote:
Greetings,

I am recommending a FreeBSD solution to replace an old business "file
server".  The old server is running Windows 2000 Professional, and the
company has grown from the 5 employee setting to now two floors and
approximately 15 - 20 people.  They were starting to get connection errors
to the Win2K machine, as I believe, without the Server version of the
software, file sharing and maps are severely limited.

Anyways, my question is thus:  In setting up a FreeBSD machine and utilizing
Samba to support "standard" file sharing, is there any caveats or issues
that anyone perceives?  I've done multiple FreeBSD installations, and
utilize the Samba package to provide file sharing support in other small
businesses, but have not had to consider 20 connections at once.  The
network connection is just a simple router to switch, all gigabit, and the
system I'm recommending to use as a server also has dual gigabit network
ports.

As well, if anyone has any web-links to recommended reading, I would greatly
appreciate them.

Regards,

Seur Bors
Legate Commander
Knights Of The Old Code

Well there's a lot of info that would be needed to a well reasoned "Yes, you can", but the short version is it shouldn't be an issue under normal office-like usage. Going from 5 to 20 connections in such a scenario is negligible. Samba system-agnostic tutorials are good sources of info, but best advice is probably to use info provided by their official documentation and mailing list.

Also, I have fbsd systems running samba with 20+ connections under what I consider normal office environment with absolutely no issues except I can't figure out how to get XP to save persistent login password.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator