Glen Barber wrote:
On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:46 AM, luc...@lastdot.org <luc...@lastdot.org> wrote:
Hi,

I need to use around 30 IPs on a freebsd 7 machine. Is there a way to avoid
adding 30 lines of aliases in rc.conf? On RedHat/Centos I use this trick:
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/RangeOfIpsOnEthx

You could create a customized rc file (I personally use rc.local)
which will be run at boot.  You could then use #!/bin/sh and a 'for'
loop to create the devices.

IMHO, this solution is a lot uglier than 30 extra lines in rc.conf.

If this is a contiguous range of IPs, then use the ipv4_addrs_ifN construct, which you can read all about in rc.conf(5). Eg:

ipv4_addrs_em0="192.168.64.33-63/24"

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                 Flat 3