Tim Judd wrote:
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:18 AM, David Banning <david+dated+1239553110.eb1...@skytracker.ca <mailto:david%2bdated%2b1239553110.eb1...@skytracker.ca>> wrote:

    I get this error when I attempt to run acroread8;

    /compat/linux/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries:
    /usr/local/lib/libc.so.6: ELF file OS ABI invalid

    I get the impression maybe acroread is attempting run a linux binary
    using a freebsd library - but I am not sure if this is so, or how
    to fix
    it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

This looks like a Linux ELF file branding problem.

google://linux+elf+branding

but /usr/local/lib/libc.so.6 is the freebsd library, which it -is- branded;

# /usr/local/lib
# brandelf libc.so.6
File 'libc.so.6' is of brand 'FreeBSD' (9)

Acroread probably needs   /usr/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6
if it is running as linux  - acroread itself is a shell script. My
thought is now to locate the binary that is executed and see
what it is brandelf'd as, but when I study the acroread script
I cannot appear to find a binary referenced.