On Apr 7, 2009, at 16:13, Steve Bertrand wrote:

Hi all,

To copy data from one server, I normally (always) use scp.

I'm looking for a method to perform this copy task without the overhead
of encryption for infrequent, high-volume transfers (hundreds to
thousands of GB).

The data will be transferred server-to-server within a private datacentre.

Can someone recommend a *known good* production quality copy mechanism
that will act like scp, but without the overhead? rsh? nc?

In that environment you can use ftp just fine. Make sure to restrict it to the local IP addresses.