Mel Flynn wrote:

Any reason a jail can't be used? This would allow sharing the binary using null or union fs, little overhead, yet seperated from host install and no maintenance of port installed files, like rc.d/mysql-server.

Unionfs, unix sockets and flush operations don't like each other from what I know, so make sure your database directory and socket aren't going to be located on a unionfs mount and you should be okay. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I definitely haven't been able to get MySQL to play nice with unionfs