Karl Vogel wrote:
A shot in dark at the problem is upgrading firefox also upgraded perl
from 5.8.8 to 5.8.9(possibility w/ threaded perl). If some other of
your apps expected perl 5.8.8 on boot and didn't find then that could
cause an issue similar to your description. Since perl is such a huge
part of the ports collection, when perl is updated, all of it's
dependencies should be rebuilt against the new version. That's
relatively easy to accomplish using something like portupgrade or
portmaster. I've had to take steps like you describe before, but I try
to keep the things I maintain separately to an absolute minimum as in
addition to the time consumption aspect of it, I tend to forget things
which then blow in my face so I find it easier to use more conventional
means. Also a good idea to keep on top of /usr/ports/UPDATING as well
which will give you a heads up on such a thing. The entry referencing
the perl upgrade:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:31:06 -0500,
Adam Vandemore <amvandem...@gmail.com> said:
A> How do you handle major builds that use FBSD specific patches....
A> asterisk for example?
Fortunately I haven't had to build asterisk or anything else that large.
If I did, I'd probably try building under Solaris first, and when
installing under FBSD, I'd examine any patches and put them in by hand.
My only experience with a major ports build was attempting to upgrade
Firefox; 20 minutes after starting, I was left with a literally
unbootable system. I had to yank the drive, give it to a buddy to
verify that my files were still present, do a complete installation
with a more recent FBSD version on a clean drive, and restore my stuff
from the original system.
I'm perfectly willing to admit that I botched something in the Firefox
upgrade, but I've also run into problems installing anything that remotely
depends on perl. I use the same version on all my servers, and I got
tired of seeing "unable to find perl-5.8.whatever"; configure scripts
test for capability rather than version number to avoid this problem.
Some of my servers are not allowed to have any network access, which
means no chasing dependencies; I put in a CD with some source and run
a build script.
AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5.8
lang/perl5.8 has been updated to 5.8.9. You should update everything
depending on perl. The easiest way to do that is to use
perl-after-upgrade script supplied with lang/perl5.8. Please see
its manual page for details.
firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"