On Thursday 16 April 2009 18:27:32 Roland Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:17:08PM +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:
> > >
> > > If you switch to another major version of FreeBSD, the best course is
> > > to remove and reinstall all ports.
> >
> > All ports depending on libc. Which is everything except
> > scripts. Removal isn't necessary. ports-mgmt/portmaster is one of
> > those scripts that doesn't need recompilation and can be used to force
> > recompilation of all ports that need it. Two for one deal.
>
> Unfortunately, no port management tool deals completely with this
> situation. The libc version isn't listed as a dependency, AFAIK.

Yes, that's right. However, portmaster is capable of ignoring ports for
updating using +IGNOREME files in the corresponding /var/db/pkg/pkgname
directory. You can invest a little time before the upgrade which ports you can
skip this way. On the other hand, reinstalling script only ports, probably
takes less time then figuring this out. YMMV.

> I tend to make a list of all installed ports (with portmaster -L), wipe
> all ports and remove any remains from /usr/local. Then reinstall all
> ports listed as 'root ports' and 'leaf ports' in said list. This makes
> sure you have a clean and consistent set of ports.

I guess I'm just anti-redoing-configuration, since there's so many formats out
there. One can of course backup ${LOCALBASE}/etc --exclude rc.d, but the
number of exceptions grows over time (/etc/X11/xorg.conf, /usr/local/squid/*,
/usr/local/pgsql/data/*, /usr/local/hybserv/*).

I also see an advantage to your method. I've been running into incorrect
PLISTs more often, which can leave traces of old files.
--
Mel