Hello,

This week upgraded my Acer TravelMate 4060 laptop from FreeBSD 7.0 to
FreeBSD 7.1 and also csup'ed my ports and portupgraded them and I am
not able to start X correctly. When I invoke startx, it tries to start
it and then the screen goes blank and black, nothing is seen on it and
I am no able to kill X using ctrl-alt-backspace or swtich to another
terminal and I have to cold reboot my machine.

uname -r shows 7.1-RELEASE-p4

The version of xorg metaport is 7.4_1, the version of xorg-server is 1.6.0,1.

After I did the portupgrade I rebooted my machine and the KDE display
manager failed to appear, so I disabled it from /etc/ttys for easier
debugging. After I logged in to a shell, I called startx and the
screen went blank and black. After I rebooted the machine I invoked

X -configure

as root and run

X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

and again the same problem. I then tried to make ctrl-alt-backspace
work and I added the following section at the end of
/root/xorg.conf.new

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "off"
EndSection

and called X -config /root/xorg.conf.new again - same results and
still could not kill ther server. I followed /usr/ports/UPDATING,
entry from 20090123 and disabled moused and added

Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"

in the ServerLayout section. Again X refuses to start appropriately.

I would be very grateful if you help me in resolving this issue.

I am attaching my xorg.conf file and the logs from /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and I will happily provide more information if needed.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards
Rambius

--