how i do this (but this is probably not "politically correct" ;)

1) get all files of new version in one place (subdir) say at /7.1
2) separate out manually all configs - it's /etc, /var/namedb and maybe few more
3) using livecd just put all other files with tar|tar to the place
4) manually update configs - put all except what you modified
5) turn off all services in rc.conf, reboot
6) install compat6x from ports so your existing ports will work, then turn on services