Lisa Casey wrote:
Hi,

Running FreeBSD 5.3  IN /etc/ntp.conf I have:

server time.nist.gov prefer
server tock.gpsclock.com
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
logfile /var/log/ntp.log

If I run ntpdate from a prompt, I get the following  error message:

# ntpdate
20 Apr 12:02:08 ntpdate[50109]: no servers can be used, exiting

But if I type:

ntpdate time.nist.gov   it will update the time. Is there something wrong with
my /etc/ntp.conf file?

I don't believe ntpdate uses ntp.conf.  Try ntpd -q

I don't have 5 running anywhere anymore, but if you read the man pages for 6.3, it's clear that ntpdate is depreciated and on its way out.

Or you could just run ntpd as a daemon to maintain your time.
--

--Jon Radel
j...@radel.com