Sorry for the cross-post, but this is getting a lot of air time on both
lists.  Since I have never really encountered the problems described in
the recent onslaught of emails, I can only offer regurgitated help from
other users, and some common sense best practices.  Updates to this are
welcome.  When I'm done, I'll post it to my GNOME FAQ.

Q. When I launch Mozilla, all I see is, " No running window found." and
nothing ever happens.  How do I fix this?

A. This problem is usually indicative of a font issue.  As of 1.2a,
Mozilla is built with Xft2 support by default.  This support allows
Mozilla to render anti-aliased fonts.  However, Xft2 can be problematic
if your font setup is not correct.  Here are some things you can try to
remedy the problem.

1. Decide if you really want anti-aliased fonts in Mozilla.  If not, you
can simply rebuild Mozilla after adding WITHOUT_XFT to /etc/make.conf.
This will return Mozilla to the look and feel of 1.1 and earlier.
2. Make sure all your font files under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts have
0444 permissions.  That is, make sure the font files are readable by all
users.
3. Make sure you have the following in the Module section of your
XF86Config file:

Load  "type1"
Load  "freetype"

4. Make sure you don't have the mozilla-fonts port or package
installed.  If you do, delete it, then run fc-cache -v -f as root.
5. Make sure ${PREFIX}/etc/fonts/fonts.conf exists (where ${PREFIX} is
the prefix where Mozilla is inatalled).
6. Try running fc-cache -f -v as root to force a rebuild of the Xft
fontconfig caches.
7. Try removing or renaming ~/.mozilla.
8. Try rebuilding print/freetype2, x11-fonts/fontconfig, and
x11-fonts/Xft.
9. Remove or rename ~/.fonts.conf if it exists.
10. If you are using XFree86 from CVS (i.e. 4.2.99.x), manually install
print/freetype2, x11-fonts/fontconfig, and x11-fonts/Xft from ports.
11. Make sure you're not building Mozilla with non-default CFLAGS or CPU
optimizations.  Make sure CFLAGS is set to -O -pipe, and try commenting
out CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf (if such an entry exists).

If none of this works, add the following to /etc/make.conf:

CFLAGS= "-O -g -pipe"
STRIP=

Then edit Mozilla's Makefile and remove the line that says
"--enable-strip".  Then rebuild fontconfig, Xft, and Mozilla.  Then,
launch Mozilla using the command mozilla -g.  At the (gdb) prompt, type
run.  When Mozilla crashes, type bt, and send the resulting backtrace
along with the output of fc-cache -v -f and fc-list -v to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      [EMAIL PROTECTED]