On Sun, 19 April 2009 03:14:35 Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This week upgraded my Acer TravelMate 4060 laptop from FreeBSD 7.0
> > to FreeBSD 7.1 and also csup'ed my ports and portupgraded them and
> > I am not able to start X correctly. When I invoke startx, it tries
> > to start it and then the screen goes blank and black, nothing is
> > seen on it and I am no able to kill X using ctrl-alt-backspace or
> > swtich to another terminal and I have to cold reboot my machine.
> >
> > uname -r shows 7.1-RELEASE-p4
> >
> > The version of xorg metaport is 7.4_1, the version of xorg-server
> > is 1.6.0,1.
> >
> > After I did the portupgrade I rebooted my machine and the KDE
> > display manager failed to appear, so I disabled it from /etc/ttys
> > for easier debugging. After I logged in to a shell, I called startx
> > and the screen went blank and black. After I rebooted the machine I
> > invoked
> >
> > X -configure
> >
> > as root and run
> >
> > X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
> >
> > and again the same problem.
>
> The default screen when not running a WM/DE is no longer the familiar
> screen pattern / X mouse pointer, but a black screen. Go figure...
> You maybe having a working X and not know it.

I had the same issues starting and stopping X.  I was looking at a pitch
black screen and did not know if the server was running properly or
not.  After some digging around I found a new parameter which will
produce the traditional stipple with cursor in the center of the
screen:

   X -retro

The above command plus the settings in xorg.conf about killing the
server with Ctrl+Atl+BS (specified elsewhere in this thread) will
produce a traditional startup and shutdown for X.

Thank for all the useful tips

Marek