ms-dos partition. For example, I attempted to download a torrent with
ctorrent. Works perfectly if I am saving to the bsd partition but my
whole system freezes if I use the ms-dos partition.

I mount it in /etc/fstab as "/dev/ad0s2 /d msdosfs rw 0 0"

Is this behaviour the result of the 0 0?

no. it's a result of ms-dos fs driver which is just useful to do read/write, even this isn't high performance ;)

mmap is probably buggy that's why rtorrent crash.
i don't think anyone really optimized this, not much need anyway.