I have a machine I plan to use solely for testing. I have FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT on it right now, and would like to add FreeBSD 7.2-RC2 as well as CentOS 5.3 Linux.

Presently I have three Master Boot Record primary partitions - "slices" in the FreeBSD parlance, if I understand correctly:

- A Linux slice to be used for CentOS' /boot
- A BSD slice subdivided into partitions that hold 8.0-CURRENT
- A big FAT slice (so to speak) meant to be split up for 7.2 and CentOS

A PC-style Master Boot Record can hold a maximum of four primary partitions, or it can hold three primaries and a single extended partition that is subdivided into logical partitions.

The geometries of the logical partitions aren't given in the MBR, but exist as a linked list.

I *should* be able to split that FAT slice up into a primary for 7.2 and an extended partition that will hold CentOS' other partitions; however:

In Googling about this, I have read some dire warnings about FreeBSD being unable to understand logical partitions; apparently installing FreeBSD *before* an extended partition will result in all your logicals getting trashed. One is advised to put all the FreeBSD MBR partitions *after* the extended partition.

Is that the case?  Have you any advice for me?

One more thing: if it's possible, I'd like for the /home directory to be shared between both of my FreeBSD installations. In a normal installation, there is a real /usr/home directory, with /home being a symbolic link.

If I'm running FreeBSD out of one MBR partition (or slice), can I mount a directory that's in a different one?

Thanks for your help!

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
m...@prgmr.com

   prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

      Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen