Pieter Donche ?????:
> # pkg_delete php5-mbstring-5.2.8
>
> But now it seems that my Drupal 6.9 continues to look for
> php5-mbstring-5.2.8 (not looking at php5-mbstring-5.2.9)
>
> How can I install php5-mbstring-5.2.8 again via the ports ??

I think you problem can be solved by:

1) pkgdb -F

This I don't understand, how can a pkgdb -F restore a package which
you have deleted ? From the man page of pkgdb, -F seems only to "resolve stale dependencies, unlink cyclic dependencies, complete stale or missing origins and remove duplicates."

Isn't there a way to find in the ports collection an older version of a package somewhere ??