On 4/29/09 4:59 PM, "Charles Howse" <cho...@charter.net> wrote:

> I recall Bill Gates saying, "640k is enough for anybody."  I agree,
> it's not much of a savings, and there's always the possibility that
> the webmaster may add something later that needs a module that's
> commented, and run around in circles before she/he realizes it.

right.

one thing to remember about optimizations is to put your effort where you
need it most. for example, in my apps that's always been in the database
queries. so i have logging techniques that allow me to run pareto analyses
on query timing data and use that to direct my efforts.

spending a couple of weeks optimizing malloc(), a surprisingly popular
activity, is seldom worth it.