On Fri, 1 May 2009, Martin McCormick wrote:

Let's say we have a system that is backed up regularly and it
vanishes in a puff of smoke one day. One can get FreeBSD
installed on a new drive in maybe half an hour or so but we also
need to get back to the right patch level and then we can say we
are back where we started. If you do not have hot-swappable
drives which we mostly do not, What is the best way to restore
the full system?

        Can I use the FreeBSD installation disk in rescue mode?
The idea would be to boot the CDROM, go in to rescue mode, mount
the new drive which may be blank right now, and then use restore
based on the last dump of the system we are trying to revive.

I've had success doing a minimal install from CD, booting from the new drive, and then restoring dumpfiles right over it.