Every time I log in to xfce, it throws a warning that it cannot lookup
"bsdbox" (which is my hostname as defined in rc.conf). The warning
dialog suggests altering /etc/hosts to fix the problem. In fact, it's
not a "problem" because my WAN connectivity is fine, but I still want
to resolve this.

In /etc/hosts there are two lines containing:

localhost localhost.my.domain

Since I'm connecting to the Internet through a dynamic-IP ISP without
a reserved domain name, I have nothing with which to replace
"my.domain".

What should I do to resolve this issue? In a situation like this
(note: I am behind a home router), is there actually anything I can
replace "my.domain" with?

Pardon my very limited understanding of networking concepts :)

Thanks,
Daniel