Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Mike Jeays <mike.je...@rogers.com> wrote:

I would keep away from the term 'public domain', which means you would lose
any rights to it whatsoever.

Public Domain does NOT  invalidate Copyright : The owner of the work is the
copyright holder .
Public Domain is a license kind which means that there is no any condition
on the usage .  For example , BSD-style licenses generally are mentioned as
2-clause ( conditions ) , 3-clause ( conditions ) , etc. . Public Domain
license means Zero-clause license .

Giving advice like this on an international list is practically an exercise in futility, as there's pretty much a 100% chance that what you're saying is completely wrong in at least one country (and, yes, that goes for everything I say below too :-). However, in some places, "public domain" does indeed mean that there is no copyright on it. It is my understanding that in some countries it is difficult, if not impossible, to disclaim copyright, so you can't put your own works into the public domain.

"Public Domain license" is conflating copyrights and licenses, which while they interact, are not at all the same thing. In fairness I will grant that this is a common usage, despite the fact that some of us deplore its imprecision.

My suggestion to the OP:

1) Make sure your employer (if any) doesn't have rules on this that you wish to follow,

2)  Pick a license that appeals to you,

3a) If the software isn't important enough or valuable enough that you see hiring a lawyer if somebody violates your license, you're done, as so long as the license expresses what you'd prefer people to do, it really doesn't matter much whether or not you theoretically could enforce it,

3b) If this is valuable software, see a lawyer *before* you publish the software, preferably one who understands intellectual property *and* the various licenses that are available for "free" software. Do NOT depend on free advice from amateurs such as myself.

Frankly, unless you see this software as providing revenue, or being part of some grand product you're releasing in phases, your license is making a philosophical declaration that a fair percentage of honorable users will more or less honor. The costs of bringing legal action to actually enforce a license are probably completely out of line with the value of the network utilities that you want to share.

--

--Jon Radel
j...@radel.com