Hey,

I have a FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE system. I'm trying to upgrade to 7.2,
specifically the RELENG_7_2 tag.

I synced my sources via csup, built world, built kernel, and installed
kernel. All went well. I rebooted into single user mode, and the
kernel hung. The loader menu came up, but when the kernel starts

I recovered it by dropping to a loader prompt and loading kernel.old.
It booted up fine.

I have attached the kernel config I used to buildkernel. I'm guessing
it has something to do with this.

In case it's relevant, the system is a dual-core Intel Xeon, with
HyperThreading disabled.

Thanks.
#
# Kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ../../conf/NOTES and NOTES files.
# If you are in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first
# in NOTES.
#

cpu             I686_CPU
ident           KERN

options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
#options        UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
#options        UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big directories
options         UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS journaling
#options        MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_PART_GPT           # GUID Partition Tables.
options         GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
options         COMPAT_43TTY            # BSD 4.3 TTY compat [KEEP THIS!]
options         SCSI_DELAY=100          # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
#options        KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
#options        STACK                   # stack(9) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.
options         STOP_NMI                # Stop CPUS using NMI instead of IPI
#options        AUDIT                   # Security event auditing
#options        KDTRACE_HOOKS           # Kernel DTrace hooks

# SMP
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device          apic                    # I/O APIC
options         IPI_PREEMPTION          # Preempt threads running on other CPUs
if needed

# Networking
options         DEVICE_POLLING
options         HZ=1000
device          em                      # Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Family
device          loop                    # Network loopback
device          ether                   # Ethernet support
device          tun                     # Packet tunnel.
device          bpf                     # Berkeley packet filter
device          pf                      # OpenBSD's Packet Filter
device          pflog
options         ALTQ
options         ALTQ_RED                # Random Early Detection
options         ALTQ_RIO                # RED In/Out
options         ALTQ_PRIQ               # Priority Queueing
options         ALTQ_NOPCC              # Required for SMP
options         ACCEPT_FILTER_DATA
options         ACCEPT_FILTER_HTTP

# Misc
device          pci                     # PCI Bus Support
options         PANIC_REBOOT_WAIT_TIME=-1       # Wait indefinitely after
kernel panic

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           # Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
#device         atkbdc                  # AT keyboard controller
#device         atkbd                   # AT keyboard
#device         kbdmux                  # keyboard multiplexer
#device         splash                  # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
#device         sc

# Pseudo devices.
device          random                  # Entropy device
device          pty                     # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)