First, thank you.
You are right, qemu has an internal DHCP server, which should be perfect for
me, becuse I would like to emulate a network without any contact with external
(real) world. The problem is that my virtual PC can't ping the gateway. For my
idea (this is just a way to study a project for a network without a real
network) the communication is intended only among virtual PCs. But If I can't
contact the (virtual) gateway will it be possible to contact another virtual PC
on a different subnet? Or even on the same subnet? In my idea I would like to
create a little but complex net with one master controller, a slave controller,
a little number of client belonging to different subnets. Maybe with or without
a DHCP server.

Marco