I have a jail where the www user runs hourly cron jobs. On rare occasion, these jobs get stuck in a seemingly infinite CPU loop - a Python script calls Ghostscript and that child process never returns - and I have to manually kill them. I'd like to use login.conf to set resource limits so that I don't have to do this myself, but they don't seem to be applied. Here's a snippet of my login.conf:

www:\
        :cputime=300:\
        :tc=default:

I've run "cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf" to make that live. Then, I used vipw to change www's class:

www:*:80:80:www:0:0:World Wide Web Owner:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin

However, I can trigger the error condition and watch the child Ghostscript process run for 6-7 minutes before I kill it.

It's my understand that cron uses the limits from login.conf. Any idea what I might be doing wrong and causing it not to do so?
--
Kirk Strauser