[Nota Bene--Cc: list trimmed!  --SB]
     On Tue, 19 May 2009 09:56:54 +0000 (GMT) Saifi Khan
<saifi.k...@twincling.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 19 May 2009, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
>> I don't think there's any support for Dom0 stuff in FreeBSD.
>>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen has further information about what
>> is and isn't supported at this time.
>>
>> Adrian

>> > Hi:
>> >
>> > What is the extent of Dom0 support for FreeBSD 8.x with Xen
>> > 3.3.x ?
>> >
>> > My interest is to run multiple guest OS hosted on a Xen-ified
>> > (aka paravirtualized) FreeBSD 8.x on a multi-core intel or AMD64
>> > box.
>> >
>> > Any pointers or observations ?
>> >

>Hi Adrian:
>
>Thank you for the clarification about "no dom0 support in
>FreeBSD 8.x as of now".
>
>Yes, i did visit the wiki link couple of months ago and in fact
>dropped a mail to Kip as well :) there was no response, guess he
>was busy.
>
>i'd be thankful, if you could share your observations about the
>following:
>
> . is dom0 support something that FreeBSD will target at some
>   point in time or would be happy to be domU ?
>
> . there was some mention of vimage/bitvisor in one of the
>   slides (i think on scribd.com). So, is it that jails getting
>   extended to support virtualization+containers and thus a
>   entirely different approach which does not use Xen ?
>
> . is it envisaged that a stable NetBSD dom0 implementation
>   would then be ported to FreeBSD (maybe) ?

     If you just need versatile emulation for i386- amd64-based software and
not necessarily Xen, you might check the threads in -ports@ during the last
week or two about Sun's VirtualBox package.  The FreeBSD port is being beta-
tested at present, and many testers are saying it appears to work pretty well
already.  My guess is that the porters will get it committed to the ports
tree fairly soon.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG