Peter Steele wrote:
I create a thread using something like this: pthread_t thread; pthread_create(&thread, NULL, mythread, NULL); pthread_detach(thread); I use the detach because I want to make sure the thread's resource are reclaimed when the thread completes. However, this does not seem to work. Each time I create a thread the application's memory footprint grows by 128 bytes and this memory is never released. Am I doing this right?
From man pthread_detach:

The *pthread_detach*() function indicates that system resources for the specified /thread/ should be reclaimed when the thread ends. If the thread is already ended, resources are reclaimed immediately. *This routine does not cause the thread to end.

*So, unless your 'mythread' routine has successfully completed, the associated resources will not be reclaimed.