try,
# stty erase ^v<press backspace key right after typing ^v>

The ^v (control - v ) is the "quote character". It keeps the shell from
interpreting the next keystroke. This is necessary because some shells
are smart enough to realize that either ^H or ^? should be treated as the
backspace character, but some programs don't (like mail, vi...).

You can put the stty erase command right into your shells startup script.