Chad,

Thanks again. That helps. In another post David Kelly suggest gphoto2 in
ports/graphics. I looked into this and it does support the DSC-F707. So,
perhaps it will work with the F717, too. Also, it supports your camera.
I think I will try both approaches and see how they compare. Of course
(doesn't it figure) I compile my kernel without USB mass storage
support. Oh, well. It's about time for another kernel compile :-)

Thanks again.

Alex