The xorg-server port has an option not to use hal. But it is enabled by
default.

indeed

                | |    [X] HAL    Compile with HAL config support

uffff :) how nice. while i have Xorg already installed when i need, and don't upgrade it (as it works fine),

once again thank you very much for that info. it's always good to know this beforehand.

The first thing I did when it appeared was to disable it, and X
has kept working normally with my xorg.conf slightly altered to conform
to the 20090123 entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING.

that's not a problem i always edit xorg.conf to some extent.