On Wed, 27 May 2009 12:29:24 -0500, Kevin Monceaux <ke...@rawfeddogs.net> wrote:
> What I can gather from this thread is that he, as a developer, might
> possibly have the right to speak on behalf of FreeBSD in regards to a
> sponsorship offer.  On the other hand, you, who are neither a
> developer nor a core team member, do not.  Not only that, the
> information is his reply is both polite and accurate where yours is
> not.  From Boris's e-mail:

FreeBSD developers know enough to avoid speaking 'on behalf' of anyone,
unless they are explicitly asked to do so and it makes sense.  We usually
just point the users gently towards an appropriate resource: a webpage, a
mailing list, or a team of more knowledgeable folks, etc.

Boris did the right thing IMO by pointing at the donations pages.  Two of
the important details here are:

a) We generally accept all donations, regardless of how small they are.
   Even donations of a single RAM chip for nearly obsolete platforms are
   welcome and we try to find someone who will make good use of it.

b) The donations team acts as a gateway for incoming stuff, and they have
   enough experience to discern genuine offers for a donation from spammy
   "please link to my personal web site and I will make you rich" scamming
   schemes.

Both of these make the donations team a fairly good place to direct those
who look like potential donors.  So I'll add my support to Boris' note
about notifying the donations team and letting them speak with the OP to
see if their offer makes sense and/or is useful.

HTH,
Giorgos