FreeBSD developers know enough to avoid speaking 'on behalf' of anyone,
unless they are explicitly asked to do so and it makes sense.  We usually
just point the users gently towards an appropriate resource: a webpage, a
mailing list, or a team of more knowledgeable folks, etc.

Boris did the right thing IMO by pointing at the donations pages.  Two of

Exactly. but it for sure wasn't what original "sponsoring offer wanted". He wanted banner/logo advert on mine webpage.

a) We generally accept all donations, regardless of how small they are.
  Even donations of a single RAM chip for nearly obsolete platforms are
  welcome and we try to find someone who will make good use of it.

But you don't put advert for this. As you said - there is separate webpage for listing sponsors, and that's excellent.

b) The donations team acts as a gateway for incoming stuff, and they have
  enough experience to discern genuine offers for a donation from spammy
  "please link to my personal web site and I will make you rich" scamming
  schemes.

So what's wrong with my answer for such spammy offer?