On Thu, 28 May 2009 18:04:23 +0100, Chris Rees <utis...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> [The OP] even said 'secure' twice. There is a web server involved, meaning
> possibility of compromise (we all know how secure web servers tend to
> be), and then one has access to network traffic for sniffing. Also, if
> this is for quotas, then surely the people accessing the server via
> *NFS* are inside the network?

Yes, I agree to that, but it doesn't stand in any contradiction to
what I said, or what Wojciech said.

So for the OP, security is needed. As it has been mentioned, using
encryption tunnels is one (valid) means to do this, SSH is another,
and both of them can even be combined. If the environment is that
insecure that it doesn't allow rsh / rlogin, then DO NOT USE IT.
But if it is, why not? At least, the OP's description involving
web servers doesn't justify using "just" rsh / rlogin, and not
telnet, of course. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany