On Thu, 28 May 2009 21:43:32 +0200 (CEST), Wojciech Puchar
<woj...@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
> I don't agree it's bad idea of removing processing hardware from printer.
> It's good idea as such processing is a blink of eye for today computers.

in general, I would agree, but some BASIC FUNCTIONALITY should
be brought by the printer itself, and if it's only ASCII printing,
so things like

        % ls /etc > /dev/ulpt0

would work. For simple things, it's completely okay.

> The problem is that there is NO STANDARD for raw bitmap printers.
> If it would - then just adding this to ghostscript would be few hours of
> work.

Exactly, THAT's the problem. If all manufacturers would agree to
have a certain standard about how printers can receive bitmapped
content, everything would be easy. But as I said, printer manu-
facturers don't intend to do so, because customers seem to like
the shiny discs they need to spend some time with before being
able to actually use their new printer. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0