On Monday, March 03, 2003 8:23 PM Giorgos Keramidas <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2003-03-03 17:49, Mike Loiterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Just applied the patch to /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src
>> I'm running sendmail 8.11.6
>
> What patch did you apply?
>
>> 1.  Is this the correct location for the patch?
>
> Depends on the patch.  If it's the one from www.sendmail.org for the
> 8.11.x versions of Sendmail, then yes... you applied it in the right
> part of the source tree.
>
>> 2.  Do I need to do a `make world' or can I just do a make install
>> from with the /usr/src/contrib/sendmail directory and restart
>> sendmail?
>
> It's probably better to do a full buildworld, to see if the patch
> breaks anything.  Note though that even if a buildworld succeeds,
> you're effectively trying to backport the fixes to an older,
> unsupported branch of development.  Without more testing it's not easy
> to answer questions like ``Will my Sendmail installation & setup work
> without any sort of problem afterwards?''
>
> - Giorgos
>
> PS: You can always upgrade to RELENG_4.  Gregory Neil Shapiro, the
> maintainer of Sendmail on FreeBSD, has already merged the latest
> Sendmail version (8.12.8) to the RELENG_4 branch.

Hrmm....

That seems like an awfull lot of upgrading for one patch (upgrading to RELENG_4).  My
system is extremely stable and I'd hate to rock the boat for this tiny patch.  Seems
like there is a better chance of something `breaking' during a full system upgrade
rather then applying the patch and doing the buildworld.  I've only got about two
years of FreeBSD experience so I may be missing something.  I certainly welcome input
from more experienced admins.

Randomly Generated Quote:
Too much of a good thing is *wonderful*.

Mike Loiterman
PGP Key 0xD1B9D18E
http://www.ascendency.net