other question - what filesystem do you use for directory when locks are
placed?

in-jail# mount
/dev/mirror/gm0s1d on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)

me too UFS. no other questions, and no other ideas. sorry.

procfs on /var/jails/mail/proc (procfs, local)
devfs on /var/jails/mail/dev (devfs, local)
/usr on /var/jails/mail/usr (nullfs, local, read-only)

looks like you administer jails the same way as me (/usr shared). Probably your /usr/local/etc is a symlink to have different configs both places. But i will ask - is it?

AND - make sure dovocot-deliver does not try writing anything into /usr.
Most programs don't but some do, if so you have to move that directory out of /usr and make symlink. squid proxy do this.

I tested dovecot/ssl-build-param on another server: in host ok, in all jails
the same error.  ?!?!?

The only idea left is that it writes to /usr someplace.

BTW do you need /proc in jails. i never used it, maybe it doesn't work properly in jail, and ssl-build-param make use it when it's available.
But for sure it do run without /proc mounted.
what version of dovecot you use?

mine is
dovecot-1.1.11