On Monday,  1 June 2009 at K:49:59 +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >I recently aquired and IBM eServer x345, which is taking up to 12 hours
> >to build a kernel!
>
> sorry if it's stupod question but do you have softupdates enabled?

Yeah, enabled
> >I've spent quite a bit of spare time trawling archives
> >etc for any hints to the reason why.
> >
> >Initally I thought it was the disks causing the problem, but the general
> >usage of the machine and disk I/O is pretty snappy just seems to be CPU
> >intensive operations where things seem to lag.
>
> caches disabled?
Disk I/O seems fine, and i'm getting good rates when testing with dd
and iostat, gstat show what i'd expect. I Initally thought it was the
disks but that was due to issues with getting the RAID controller
working correctlly which was sovled with the use if the IBM RAID tools
cd.

Regards

--
                                                                _
Chris Nicholls                           ASCII ribbon campaign ( )