I mean things like sending private data to someone else, scanning for
other programs i have on disk, my addressbook etc.

YES!    This is the biggest of the three things I have against MS
and one of the main reasons for using FreeBSD and other Open Source
software as much as possible.

But i'm not agains micro-soft. If someone want to pay and be
controlled - his problem.

Today micro-soft doesn't even hide with this!! So it's clear - you pay big brother and he does well the job he's paid for!

(ps. The other two are the quality of MS systems and MS business practices)

I didn't mean microsoft but any commercial software.

Actually i just switched from opera to firefox for similar reasons.

I DO NOT say that opera doing such things, but i'm not sure it does not.

Every minute or so when i use opera is starts lots of disk I/O and slows down. It do so no matter if i'm loading some pages or do just nothing.

It wasn't happening with older versions, but with that
opera-9.64.20090302