On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 12:03:06AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >> Even at first post i wrote that i'm not FreeBSD owners and they will
> >> decide.
> >
> > We're all human.  The potential sponsors might have missed the line
> > where you said that you were not an owner.
>
> this way - nobody should write anyone. there is always a line that missed
> - completely changes a sense of sentence.

I'm sure you know that this is an absurd proposition.

> >> Do you really mean i have enough power to just dumb any sponsors
> >> (potential, not "potential") by writing a post on public mailing
> >> list?
> >
> > Any person might look at people in the community and decide that
> > they don't want to be a part of that community after all.  That's
> > why it would be nice if everyone could be courteous and helpful.
> >
> > I'm not specifically referring to you, Mr. Puchar.  I'm talking
> > about the general case.
>
> You are right. But do you try to say that we should think about
> consequences for potential sponsoring every word we say?!
>
> Is FreeBSD FREE SOFTWARE or commercial product that's selling some
> way?
>
> If first - then we should not care how much more/less money people
> will pay as a gift every time we post.
>
> If second - then please Owners declare it clearly and just add
> statement about this.

Isn't there a middle-ground?  Where we can care about how we present
ourselves, yet we do not feel beholden to the possible sponsors?

A good example would be to always respond kindly and appropriately,
yet not yield to demands made on us by others.

> Anyway - Do users of any commercial product support list must think
> if their words will lower the selling of the product? i don't think
> so.

They probably care less about the product.  I personally want FreeBSD
to succeed because it is, in many ways, superior to all of the
alternatives.  As such, I hope that when I discuss it, I present it in
a good light.  For example, if someone asks me, "How do you do <X> in
FreeBSD?", I rarely suggest that the go read the fine manual.

> But if i'm not right - please add on FreeBSD webpage/mailing list
> info
>
> "Every sentence that can potentially lower the income or core team
> are punished with 10 lashes. Erik Osterholm will be the executor".

More absurdity.

Erik