On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Gary Gatten wrote:

Surely there's a native Oracle SQL or ODBC client in the ports
collection.  Have you checked there?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Martin
McCormick
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 4:59 PM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Can One Query an Oracle 10 Data Base under FreeBSD?

The Subject is most of the question. We will need to query an
Oracle 10 data base and manipulate data. Is this presently
possible under FreeBSD?

        Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer

There is a port of the Oracle instant client which runs under Linux
emulation in /usr/ports/databases/linux-oracle-instantclient-<basic,sdk,sqlplus>

This appears to use the 10.2.0.3 Oracle Linux instant client.

I used them some time ago to query an Oracle 10g server, but I didn't test them extensively.

There are also what appear to be older native clients from the Oracle 7 and 8
days, including an Oracle ODBC client.

A search of the freebsd-databases mailing list might turn up something.

I've been peeking at Talend's Open Studio which appears to be a very powerful
tool for working with databases, including Oracle.  This may be trying to
shoot a mouse with a 155mm self-propelled gun, however.  Talend is open source
and there are Linux binaries which may run under FreeBSD Linux emulation.

Mike Squires