Unfortunately there are no well done WWW browsers for unix in the world.
links -g is an exceptions, but in the same time it's quite limited.
But have best fonts :)

You're right: browser code is overly complex, and a nightmare to audit
properly for security purposes.

links is not complex, and REALLY well done, unfortunately now nobody (or close to) works on it. If they would just implement CSS - it's enough!

That's why when working in a sensitive environment, I browse the web
primarily with elinks (with JavaScript disabled, of course), and

right. but javascript in links is rather safe.

Anyway - you may simply NOT LIKE someone else unknown programs to be run on your computer except when you want to.

secondarily and only when absolutely necessary with the usual
firefox+noscript+abp...  both browsers running in a virtual box (qemu,
virtualbox) dedicated to this purpose and this purpose only.

Exaggeration IMHO. just make sure your normal user has 700 permissions, create another and run browser from it.

Of course, I'm taking more precautions, as running in a box may still
not be 100% secure, if someone creative enough found a way to break
out of the guest OS into the host OS; but everything else is just

Nobody would write specially prepared webpage exactly for You to break ;)

It's a matter of protecting yourself from "big brothers" that watch others.