My mirror gm0 consists of two SATA disks, ad4 and ad6. Now, I have a
finicky controller that sporadically spits out READ_DMA and READ_DMA48

or bad cables.

timeouts inexplicably. So at some point in time immemorial after
installing the last kernel, ad4 suffered a number of READ_DMA48 errors
and dropped out without being removed from the mirror's provider list .
So when I installed my new flashy kernel with all my filesystems
mounted, it was put into /boot/kernel on the mirror, which at that point
consisted of only ad6. On boot, the loader grabbed the kernel from

i simply have in crontab a script running once per hour:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/gmirror status|grep -q DEGRADED && \\
mail -s "gmirror failure" myphonenum...@mygsmoperator.pl </dev/null

anyway - what a sense of using gmirror without regularly checking of failures at all?